Monday, September 6, 2010

Loaded Baked Potato Soup



If you heard Fall knocking on your door this morning, this soup is a great way to welcome it in.  Using baked potatoes (rather than boiled) introduces a nice texture.  With all those garnishes you love on baked potatoes - you’ll think you’re enjoying baked potatoes in a bowl.


This morning I found myself wrapped in several blankets when I woke up.  It’s been a long time since that happened - and it was a delicious way to start the day.  I’m looking forward to Fall - and with it, all those recipes I’ve shelved during the summer because of the heat.

This recipe is nothing new, there are hundreds of variations on the web.  This has a lot going for it because of the easy prep.  If you're watching calories - go ahead and substitute skim milk and low-fat sour cream.  I prefer just taking a little less, and enjoying it without skimping on real ingredients.

I suppose you could use leftover baked potatoes in a pinch, but fresh from the oven potatoes have that light, fluffy texture that absorbs all the goodness from the rich white sauce and sour cream.   

I made this soup for my son after he had his wisdom teeth removed this weekend.  It was a mournful time for him watching everyone else enjoying the traditional crunchy, chewy Labor Day favorites.  This was a nice compromise - although he is itching to have a steak hot off the grill today.


For the detailed recipe, go to:


No comments:

Post a Comment