Monday, August 2, 2010

Tomato Basil Pie



Tomato pie can take on many personalities.  The addition of basil adds a new dimension to this classic way to use an abundance of summer tomatoes.  If you think ahead, brush your hot-from-the-oven, freshly baked pie shell with egg white to seal it and prevent it from absorbing the tomato juice.


I have a new appreciation for tomato pie the past few years.  It is always a success because it’s hard NOT to like something baked in a flaky pie crust.  The addition of fresh basil make this (possibly) even better than my favorite recipe of a year ago (HERE)

I found the amount of mayonnaise and sour cream to be extreme (at least for the small amount of tomatoes I had on hand at the time).  You may want to adjust up or down - but my preference would be to cut both the mayo and sour cream to just 1/3 cup (instead of 1/2 cup)

This recipe called for sliced green onion and large basil leaves.  Since I don’t like finding an entire whole basil leaf in anything - I thinly sliced mine.  It was much easier to serve and consume that way.


I find I like mine served cold, since it holds it’s shape and has an entirely different flavor.  But I wouldn’t refuse a slice fresh from the oven...



For the recipe, and step-by-step photos - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment