Thursday, August 19, 2010

Save-a-Trip Alfredo Sauce




Alfredo sauce is a staple for pasta lovers - and when I really need it, I often find myself without.  To save a myself from a last-minute trip to the store, my daughter shared her husband’s family recipe.  If you find yourself frustrated with lumpy, greasy homemade Alfredo - you may want to give this a chance.


I’ve found that most Alfredo sauce is loaded with fat (in one form or another - usually coming from cream, butter, and cheese).  This version is a tad more heart-friendly - although I’m not claiming it would be endorsed by the medical profession.  You might make it healthier by substituting milk for the heavy cream.

My daughter has mentioned this family recipe works well when she needs a jar of Alfredo in a hurry.  It isn’t complicated to make and can be simmering while your pasta and other ingredients are being prepared.

I also like the fact that it turns out perfectly smooth - unlike most others I have tried to make at home.  I haven’t tried it with reduced fat ingredients, and I would be interested to know how it turns out with those changes.  Using fresh garlic instead of garlic powder would also be worth a try for more authentic flavor.

I used what I had left of Basil/Lime Buttermilk Grilled Chicken, along with Fusilli pasta to make a delicious homestyle version of Chicken Alfredo.

And best of all - no last minute trip to the grocery store.


For the recipe, go to:
www.changeabletable.com

No comments:

Post a Comment