Monday, June 21, 2010

Thick & Creamy Maple Syrup



If pancake syrup could be classified as “healthy” - it would have to be this one.  There are other similar recipes out there, but they call for buttermilk as a main ingredient.  The yogurt in this recipe isn’t as tart as buttermilk, and has a milder flavor.  Maple flavoring helps turn this into a rich, thick, creamy syrup.


When we were raising our six children - they never protested when their breakfast was doused in maple syrup.  And no - it wasn’t real maple syrup - it was sugar syrup flavored with inexpensive Mapleine (made by McCormick under the brand name of “Crescent”) 

Since then, we’ve upgraded to better maple flavoring, but it’s still basically artificially flavored sugar water.  The pancake syrups purchased in a grocery store (like Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth’s, and the equivalent) are so thick and artificial it’s just like consuming straight corn syrup.  We never caught onto the thick syrup craze.

The Buttermilk Caramel Syrup my mother makes is delicious, but my children said they could “taste” the buttermilk and always went back for the maple flavored sugar water.

When I found this recipe on favfamilyrecipes.com, I really wanted to give it a try.  It turned out so thick and creamy, but not so much so that I thought I was campaigning for a heart attack.  I adapted it by adding a bit of maple flavoring to the finished syrup and it took away all of the “tart” aftertaste from the yogurt... (yes, I said YOGURT)



For this recipe, with photos & directions - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment