Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tex Mex Quiche - fast fix for one...



Some recipes are so simple they just shouldn’t turn out. This is a variation on the “Impossible Pie” trend of years ago, using good old Bisquick. I really wasn’t expecting anything life changing - but I found myself agreeing with the “impossible” part. Cheesy, spicy, and lots of good things inside - a great meal for one.


Bisquick really had it's hey-day, didn’t it? And then we all moved on. But there it is still - hanging on for dear life on the grocery shelf, hoping not to be replaced.  After trying this recipe, I’m glad it’s still available.

I’ve seen lots of variations of the “Impossible Pie” recipe. They all appear to be sort of a soupy pizza concoction, and they didn’t appeal to me for that reason. After reading the reviews on a taco version on several sites, I decided to add a few things - refried beans, fresh tomatoes, and black beans.

Last week I purchased some tortilla taco shell pans made by Chicago Metallic. I can’t help myself - I love a new kitchen gadget occasionally. They worked well for taco salad bowls, but I’ve been trying to come up with something else to use them for. This recipe is the result.

I love that these are non-stick.  They bake up really fast because of the dark coating. When I inverted the quiche, the ruffled edges gave it a fun new look.

In the old-standby Impossible Pie recipes, you serve it with the cheesy part on top. By inverting this quiche, the cheesy crust was on the top - upside down style. The meaty filling looked tempting garnishing the cheesy quiche layer beneath. It was simple to slice and serve with the crust on the bottom.

If you don’t care for too much spice, reduce the taco seasoning a touch. This would really be great with a dollop of sour cream and guacamole on the side - but we were in a hurry.  A simple green salad was all it needed.


For the recipe, step-by-step photos, and variations - go to:

1 comment:

  1. Mom, that's looks like a new pan... I've never seen it before! I miss your good food, and I know Randy does too.

    ReplyDelete