Monday, April 12, 2010

Crockpot (or not) Chicken Saltimbocca - a little "gourmet" that cooks all day



There are many variations of Saltimbocca... but this crockpot version is unique.  It can easily be changed to the traditional method of braising as well.  


Ham can be substituted for the prosciutto, and the sauce is still delicious when substituting chicken broth for the white wine.  This chicken is convenient to prepare ahead of time, refrigerate, and cook one-at-a-time if needed.


I have seen this “saltimbocca” thing floating around for years, and finally decided to see what all the fuss was about. 

Don’t let the Italian word (Saltimbocca - meaning ‘jumps in the mouth’) scare you off.  I’m not a gourmet cook, food ‘snob’, or anything close.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this dish.  

It is basically like Chicken Cordon Bleu, but not coated with a breading.  It can be baked, braised, or slow-cooked in a crockpot - all with good results.  My favorite - after trying all three - was the crockpot version.

My sons (being the fire breathing SALSA type) thought it was “bland” - meaning it did not make their eyes water and hair curl.  But for me - their fiftysomething mother - it was comfort food.  


The best part about it though, was the fact that I could make it ahead and put it on to cook slowly all afternoon and have a great, easy meal for dinner.


To see how I adapted this tasteofhome recipe two ways, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment