Monday, April 26, 2010

Bacon Trussed Chicken



Stuffed chicken is always a good idea, but it gets even better when wrapped in crispy bacon.  The two drawbacks of this recipe are pounding the chicken flat, and pre-crisping the bacon.  If you use the methods shown to make those steps easier, you’re almost home with an elegant chicken entree that’s really moist and tender. 


Add the word “stuffed” to any recipe and I’m hooked.  Somehow I associate it with “extra value added” - and I think I’m getting more than I bargained for.

Everyone has their favorite “stuffed” entree.  Somehow, adding the word “stuffed” makes us sit up and take notice of the extra effort required.  Besides - I like being surprised when I cut into a stuffed meat.  I love the anticipation of what’s going to be revealed.

Pounding chicken is one of my least favorite cooking steps.  It makes such a mess, and it gives me a headache.  I need to quit being so ‘cheap’ and purchase a meat mallet.  But until it matters more to me, I continue to use the best method I have found so far.  It’s described in the recipe directions.

For years I’ve cooked bacon on a baking sheet in a hot oven - no pan frying for me!  It does the job, but it leaves a huge mess that I dread cleaning up.  I found this idea on ourbestbites.com - and it isn’t all that different than my method.   What I hadn't tried was lining the baking sheet with heavy duty foil.  What a difference that one step makes!  Just grab the corners, fold it up, and throw it in the trash.  Bacon crisped to perfection, no splatters, and a clean baking sheet I can put away immediately - it was great...


Spinach is one of my favorite vegetables anyway, but it is even better when used to stuff meats.  With just a touch of cream cheese, dried chopped onion, and garlic salt - it makes a moist, creamy stuffing for this chicken.  


Grated cheese would also be a good addition, but the touch of cream cheese was just right - and much lighter. 

For this recipe - with hints, tips, and photos - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment