Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mom's Danish Dumplings - remedy for those nasty Spring viruses...


Chicken soup in the spring?  Almost everyone I know is nursing a non-stop cough that has hung on for weeks on end.  I had my annual “wish I were dead” virus in the fall, and I know how they feel!  So, this is my attempt at comfort - “Chicken Soup for the Spring.”  Nothing works quite like rich chicken soup. 


It would be interesting to hear actual statistics on WHEN people are the most ill in a calendar year.  I think we all expect to be sick during the winter months, but I know from three decades of mothering (and nursing sick kids) that - in my home - Spring was the worst for catching a cold virus.

My mother (bless her!) always made chicken soup with Danish Dumplings when we came down with ANYthing.  I didn’t realize then that there would eventually be scientific evidence that it WORKS.  Just take a look at this from the Mayo Clinic...
"Now scientists have put chicken soup to the test, discovering that it does have effects that might help relieve cold and flu symptoms in two ways. First, it acts as an anti-inflammatory by inhibiting the movement of neutrophils — immune system cells that participate in the body's inflammatory response. Second, it temporarily speeds up the movement of mucus, possibly helping relieve congestion and limiting the amount of time viruses are in contact with the nose lining."

So I jump on the Chicken Soup Bandwagon every time a cold visits my house.  Maybe someone you know is suffering right now...  Most people have their own chicken soup recipe, but mine always includes these dense little pillows of bliss.  When they are floating in the soup, I don’t feel quite so sorry for myself.


For the Dumpling recipe for this time-proven remedy - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment