Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Blueberry Bliss Brunch Cake - like a Costco muffin by the SLICE...


This cake can be baked in any number of forms - bundt, loaf, bars, rounds, muffins - you decide.  It’s moist, firm texture is perfect for a breakfast or brunch.  Easy to glaze with a drizzle of powdered sugar and lemon juice - or simply dust with confectioners sugar.  A cinnamon streusel topping would be a nice touch also.  Slices of this cake are firm enough to eat with your hands, but not dense or dry.


I dare you not to like this.  Everyone who tested this melt-in-your-mouth recipe said it reminded them of those big FAT Costco Blueberry Muffins.  The advantage of baking it in a bundt pan is that you don’t feel obligated to finish a giant-size muffin.  A little sliver satisfies my craving.

The beginnings of this recipe I found on myrecipes.com, where it states the recipe originated from Cooking Light.  As a matter of personal taste, I don’t keep anything “light” in my kitchen - especially butter or cream cheese with “light” in the title.  


I can always detect a slight aftertaste which I attribute to a change in the chemical makeup.  The texture made with these ingredients seems to be lacking, so I would rather have a smaller serving instead.

That said, I went about changing it so it didn’t require separating eggs and making a trip to the grocery store.  


Another “adjustment” was discovering that manufacturers are still continuing to shortchange us in subtle ways (aka - distracting the consumer by changing the “look” of the packaging, while whittling down an 8-oz yogurt to a 6-oz size - thinking all the while we won’t notice...)  I shouldn’t be surprised, but it still disappoints me.




Enjoy!  The recipe for this satisfying cake is found at:

No comments:

Post a Comment