Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fruit Flower Pizzas - welcome Spring with fruit AND flowers...


Welcome spring with both fruit and flowers.  This adaptation of single-size fruit pizza will appeal to kids and adults alike.  Many fruits can be arranged in a floral pattern - this is only one of several.  The cream cheese topping makes a cloud-like pillow for the fruit to nestle into.  Top with glaze, or serve plain.


I did a double-take when I found an entire end cap of fresh strawberries at my local Ream’s grocery store last weekend.  I knew the prices would (hopefully) go down eventually, but at $1.99 for a basket, I couldn’t resist.

I have to pinch myself to realize how fortunate we can usually get most fresh fruits almost all year long.  It used to be that strawberries were only available for a 3-4 week window every summer.  Times have changed, and I consider myself lucky.

I found a great little pan - called a “muffin top” pan on Amazon.com.  It took some getting used to - as you need to reduce your oven temperature by 25 degrees, as well as the cooking time by about 10 minutes.  It seemed a shame to only use it for muffin tops, so I gave it at try with these fruit pizzas.  

The pan makes a great tray for storing the finished desserts, and the pizzas popped right out when I used a plastic spreading spoon to give them a nudge to release the pizzas (avoid metal so you don’t damage the non-stick finish)

But pan, or no pan - this is a great little dessert idea for one (or several).  You can also easily bake cookies this way for these pizzas by pressing the bottom of a floured drinking glass onto a ball of dough.


For this recipe and it's photo tutorial - go to:

1 comment: