Sunday, February 28, 2010

Yeasted Banana Bread Waffles - like a crusty end piece from a fresh loaf...


I can guarantee that some of you won’t really get into this recipe...  If you are a real banana bread fan, trying to duplicate that in a waffle is a travesty.  But, if you are looking for something different for breakfast (or even a Sunday night before-you-go-to-bed-treat) you just might enjoy these.


I had good intentions today.  My plan was to wake up early and bake a few of these for my son before I had to leave for a few meetings.  And they would have been GREAT after the recommended time to be in the refrigerator (12 - 24 hours)  But - we couldn’t wait for that long.  We poured these onto the hot waffle iron within a half hour of mixing them (YESTERDAY, that is)  Patience isn't one of my virtues. 

These are exactly as described - although they were a little heavier than our favorite waffle. They reminded me of pebbly banana bread.  If you like the “ear” (as we call the “end piece”) of a loaf of banana bread - you’ll love these.  And you won’t believe how maple syrup compliments “banana bread” drizzled over fresh bananas.  

My main problem with making waffles - especially now with only a few of us at home - is that the batches are just too big.  The batter also doesn’t keep very well, and is much better used immediately.  Which doesn’t work at this stage of my life.   

And you know what it’s like having hungry eyes staring you down as you frantically mix up waffle batter (when you have slept late on a Saturday morning).  Throw these together the night before and you’ll be waiting for THEM...

When I saw that these could be mixed the day before, and baked the next morning - I was excited.  The recipe calls for yeast, which makes a lighter waffle and works well in my Belgian waffle iron.  And who DOESN’T have a few brown bananas sitting on your countertop waiting to be used?

This is from sevenspoons.com - a wonderful food blog.  I used this recipe directly from their site...

For my adaptation, along with step-by-step photos - go to my site here:

No comments:

Post a Comment