Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lofty Softies - these don't have to TRY to look homemade...



You’ve seen them, right?  If you are like most of us, you go for the super soft, pillowy, heavily frosted sugar cookies (that someone grabbed at the store because they forgot they had to bring cookies)   These home baked gems are better because they aren’t full of preservatives & who knows what else...


I found this recipe (called “Soft Sugar Cookies”) on thegirlwhoateeverything.  I really smiled when I read her opening statement...  “Sugar cookies are like eggs...everyone likes ‘em different.  Some like them thin and crispy, others big and dense.”  Touche’!  How true, how true...

My family was quick to remind me that these are NOT their all-time-favorites.  They are spoiled, and they love my traditional cookie for all seasons “The Cookie Under All That Good Frosting” (the link is HERE) because they don’t like change of any kind.  But I loved these.  When your teeth sink into that first bite the cookie stays in one piece - no shattering into crumbs.  They are pillowy soft, and the flavor is wonderful.  

As I mentioned above, they resemble (what we know as) “Lofthouse Cookies” that are everywhere in this neck of the woods.  Usually you see them practically drowned in hot-pink frosting and doused in a good dose of multi-colored sprinkles.  They ARE good, but I always feel like I need to repent when I have one.

This dough holds well for a long time refrigerated.  The directions for the original recipe gave one option... “roll it out and use cookie cutters or whatever you want.”  Well - “whatever I want” happened to be a little time saver I use often when I don’t want to stand at the kitchen counter for an entire day.  I just survived the entire month of February making Valentine sugar cookies for heaven’s sake...

I chilled the dough, used a small cookie scoop, and rolled it into balls.  Then I used the bottom of a drinking glass (floured of course) to press the balls to about 1/4” thick.  When I took them out of the oven they looked like little melted marshmallows.  Then it was easy to stack them on end in rows, covered tightly until I needed them a few days later.  


Even standing that long at room temperature, they were still soft and delicious.  So next time, I plan on freezing the balls of dough on baking sheets, then storing them in ziploc bags until I want a few cookies at a time.  


For this great sugar cookie recipe, along with step-by-step tutorial - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment