Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Unrolled Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake



I look forward to being WOW-ed by a recipe...  Today I had that experience with this easy, cheesy dish that has everything I like about Chicken Cordon Bleu - without the tedious preparation.  This will go in my Sunday Dinner file for a stress-less end-of-week meal.
Like all the rest of you out there - I find recipes that look interesting, then make a few changes to suit my style of cooking.  This recipe was “personalized” to work for my family, and we’ve decided to keep it and use it again (and again!)
I found several websites with the title of Deconstructed Chicken Cordon Bleu, but the one I found it on originally is stolenmomentscooking.com.  “Deconstructed” sounded a little intense, so I named it for what it is:  Cordon Bleu UN-rolled.  Does anyone really appreciate all that effort anyway?  I think not.
We love chicken cordon bleu, but the thick layer of swiss cheese is really heavy sometimes.  We liked how the cheese is distributed in the sauce and between layers in this version - instead of right in the middle.  
I decided to use Panko bread crumbs - which browned beautifully and stayed crispy... a nice contrasting top layer.  I used ham I had leftover from a big family dinner last weekend, and I sliced it 1/4” thick.  That seemed to act as a protective layer, keeping the chicken beneath it nice and moist. 
For my adaptation of this wonderfully easy, elegant meal - go to:


No comments:

Post a Comment