Friday, February 26, 2010

Mom's Chocolate Mosaics - not finished with chocolate QUITE yet...


This family favorite is my mother’s.  Mom made these often at Christmas, but I enjoy them this time of year.  Chocolate is starting to go underground with all the signs of Spring, but I’m not ready to give it up just yet.  This brown sugar cookie is wrapped around a fudgy center with a touch of chewiness.


In my growing-up days, my mother would sometimes get into one of her baking frenzies.  This was usually when the weather was just nasty enough to make you want to stay inside, and having the oven on made the house nice and cozy.  She would launch into a flurry of baking activity and the fruits of her labors were ours to enjoy for weeks.  I know that (now she is in her eighties) she misses those days.  

One of the advantages of this cookie is that you don’t have to bake the entire batch at one time.  After forming the cookie “logs” - you can slice off just what you need at the moment and keep the remainder in the refrigerator for when you have a crowd.  

It is tempting to let these keep baking beyond the recommended time - but if you do, you’ll have a crunchy cookie.  That may not be a bad thing to you, but I love these with a hint of chewiness.   You decide...


Keep a roll of this cookie in the refrigerator for a fast dessert, treat for a friend, or a warm cookie fresh from the oven anytime you feel like it.


For the recipe with step-by-step photo tutorial - go to:

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen these cookies. They look amazing. I too love to have some dough in the freezer. I just try not to eat all of it!!!!

    ReplyDelete