Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Amazing" Chicken Tortilla Soup - what in the world makes this SO good?

This recipe baffles me... I can’t figure out what makes it so good. It must just the right combination of ingredients to speak “comfort” when I’m hungry and lazy at the same moment. Delicious ladled over a bowlful of crisp tortilla chips, then buried in grated cheese.



I wasn’t expecting much from this soup with the word “AMAZING” in the title... After all - it’s a pretty bold thing to use such an adjective in a recipe title. But it IS amazing in that it is 1) SIMPLE 2) NOT hard to find the ingredients in your house without going to the grocery store 3) SATISFYING in a way that is hard to describe. Just trust me on this...



I found several versions of this soup on almost all of the major recipe sites. Some call for jalapeno pepper, white wine, red pepper flakes, etc... I only used the ingredients I keep on hand at home - and it was more than what I expected it to be. I kept a container of this in the refrigerator and it was quick to warm up when I was the only one eating. Even better - I looked forward to the leftovers...



As the soup softens the tortilla chips, it thickens the somewhat watery base. You can then taste that hint of roasted corn. Oh my - it’s good! Adding grated cheese and sour cream makes it even more comforting. I like my chips on the bottom - my son likes his crushed on top. And don’t get us started on our “where to place the cheese” topic...

For this GEM of a recipe, photos, and instructions - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment