Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Almond Rice Pilaf - take a well-deserved "potato pause"...






Every culture has their favorite “starch” - and ours seems to be potatoes... But an occasional change makes meals more inviting (unless you have anyone under the age of 12 at the table...) Since I’m past that stage - and my children now have to talk their children into embracing change - I enjoy kicking it up a notch in the starch department. This is now my personal choice (at least this week)

A lot of my closely-kept recipes are a result of something new I tried at a women’s church function... In my church (the LDS or “Mormon” church) that organization for women is called the Relief Society... and there you can find a treasure trove of some of the best recipes on the planet.

About a month ago I was at a women’s conference where this delicious rice was served. (If you ever have doubts that miracles still happen - you should attend one of these conferences. It was a reenactment of the miracle of feeding the five thousand!) I have never been a fan of “Rice Pilaf” in the past - it seems much too dry and starchy. But this was completely different and I couldn’t wait to get the recipe. The leftovers are not doomed to banishment in the refrigerator - my family loves to reheat it in the microwave and it rarely lasts long.

The best part about this is that you can get it in the oven quickly, and then forget it until dinner. Everyone liked it (except my mushroom-hater - there has to be one in every family it seems) - but she was fine about dutifully picking out every single mushroom fragment, and then proceeded to enjoy it with the rest of us.

Try adding a bright green vegetable to your entree’ when you serve a bland dish like this... We enjoy stir-fried asparagus. It is simple to put together while the rice is baking (and the recipe is included in the same post)

For photos, recipe(s), and instructions - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment