Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sweet Stir-Fried Carrot Strands - ready in minutes...





Looking for something a little different, special, and fun for a vegetable tonight? Only one of you at home? Don’t want to spend a lot of time slicing and dicing? This will be ready before you know it - and you will probably wish you had doubled the recipe. And if you do have leftovers - they add a lot of color to tomorrow’s veggies.

I’m a kitchen-gadget junkie - I just can’t resist trying a new tool occasionally, and this julienne peeler is one I LOVE... When I first got it in the mail, I wasn’t too impressed - since at first glance it seemed flimsy. So I gave it the ultimate test on one of the hardest uncooked veggies - carrots. I was not disappointed - it made quick work of julienned carrots.

My next step was to find a recipe that seemed elegant enough for these beautiful julienne strips of carrot. I examined the proportions for this quick vegetable from a Taste of Home recipe. I adjusted it down (since I was the only one eating last night), and decided it was a “keeper”... It isn’t gourmet, or worthy of (what I call) a “food snob” - but it was wonderful and made me feel like I was eating at a five-star restaurant.

There's just enough butter and sugar in this glazed carrot recipe to bring out the natural sweetness of the carrots. Since the strands of carrot are so thin, it is done in literally minutes.

For this (downsized) recipe, photos, tips, and a link for the julienne peeler - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment