Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Mex-Italian" Enchiladas - you'll think this is PASTA...





So - yes! This was a reach, to say the least... but you should at least give it a chance! I love enchiladas, and I love manicotti even more. This seems to be a nice combination of the two - and is very simple to put together in a hurry. If you didn’t know better, you may even think this is PASTA - the flour tortilla is deceiving! This recipe would be very easy to adapt for one or two people.

I enjoy using random ingredients I have on hand - and discovering something that really works. I often do a search on the web when I’m too tired to tackle the grocery store before dinner. I find recipes that use my random ingredients, and it may take a few tries - but when I combine a few it sometimes works. That is how this recipe evolved last weekend.

Flour tortillas are wonderful when they are fresh, but nobody will touch them once they are about a week old. Even though they are dried up and less-than-appetizing in appearance - I just can’t force myself to throw them out. I didn’t have ricotta cheese, so I used a container of cottage cheese and whipped it till it was the same consistency. My garden has finally been yielding spinach - so I used a couple of handfuls (so FRESH!)

After all was said and done - my son looked me in the eye and said “not bad Mom”... (which interpreted means: “I’m totally shocked that I like this so much”) We just had the leftovers last night - and they are even better the second time around.

For this "recipe", photos, and tips - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment