Saturday, November 8, 2014

Favorite Granola




I'm a new convert to Granola.  It's my new "legal" snack food - low sugar, lots of fiber, and the crunch is really wonderful.  I usually keep a small "kid-size" disposable bathroom-size drink cup (which holds about 1/4 cup) within reach during the day filled with this granola.  It saves me from refrigerator raiding about 2-4:00 in the afternoon.  I also love it on greek yogurt with frozen tri-berry mix for breakfast. 

This is a combination of a few recipes I've tried.  I've changed it slightly from my daughter (Aryn's) recipe, and the dry milk gives it a great flavor and texture.  I've also really loaded it up with walnuts, which I realize are not everyone's favorite.  Walnuts give it such a great flavor and crunch.  Sesame seed is also an unusual addition - but try quinoa, chia seed, and any/all ingredients you love to make it YOUR favorite.

Favorite Granola


Ingredients:

5 cups oats (I used "thick cut" oats from the bulk foods area of my grocery store)
1 cup non-instant nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup sesame seed (optional)
1/2 cup flax seed (can be ground, if desired)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil (light)
1-1/2 tsp real vanilla
2-3 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
2 cups (+ or -) coarsely chopped walnuts, or nuts of your choice
1 cup golden raisins

Directions:

Combine oats, nonfat dry milk, sesame & flax seeds, and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Mix well.  (Do not add raisins at this point)



In a large microwave safe measuring cup - measure out oil, honey, and water.  To this mixture add brown sugar, then microwave on high until sugar is completely dissolved.  Add vanilla and stir until combined.


Pour liquid mixture over mixed dry ingredients. Stir until completely combined.

Pour into a large, heavy baking sheet.  


Place in 275° oven and set timer for 35-45 minutes.  Remove every 15-20 minutes to stir and redistribute granola.  

Add raisins about 5 minutes before baking time ends.  If you add them at the first, they will probably burn.


You may bake this until it is crunchy, but about 40 minutes makes it how I love it - "chewy", yet with a little crunch. 


Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before breaking up and placing in airtight container or ziplock bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment