Monday, November 18, 2013

Cheesy Sour Cream Potatoes



Research papers could be devoted to the origin of the infamous “Funeral Potatoes” recipe that graces every family, church, and organization cookbook ever written.  This is our humble Petersen version.  Very slight variations from the usual - but we love how smooth, creamy, and CHEESY these turn out.



I have just assumed that all my children know how to make the “basics” (like pie crust, bread, and FUNERAL POTATOES).  But I still get phone calls from my kids that they want to see those basic recipes posted and not printed.  Forgive me for not taking step-by-step photos here, but it’s such an easy thing to put together I talked myself out of it.


I’ve made these for almost 40 years now, beginning in my college days and now for my grandchildren.  These are classic - and I’m not ashamed to acknowledge they are not health food.  My husband’s side of the family calls these “Anne’s Potatoes” - (I’m flattered).


My family likes them one of two ways - WITH the buttery cornflake topping, and WITHOUT.  I prefer them WITH (only if I’m sure we won’t have leftovers - where the cornflakes lose their appeal with reheating).  But they are so nice to prepare on a Sunday - and that lends itself best to baking them during church WITHOUT cornflakes, covered with foil.  


I used to boil potatoes, skin them, and then painstakingly grate them on a box grater.  Then I used a food processor to grate them.  Now I buy frozen hash browns - realizing I don’t get a prize for going to all that work.  The only drawback to frozen hash browns is you need to up the baking time by at least 1/2 hour or more, and they combine with the other ingredients better when you partially thaw them first.



I’ve seen these made by substituting part of the sour cream with milk, leaving out part of the soup, and totally skipping the butter.  All I can say is this... if you’re going to truly enjoy funeral potatoes for what they've always been - don’t mess with tradition.

For our version of this classic comfort food, go to:
www.changeabletable.com


No comments:

Post a Comment