Monday, June 18, 2012

Layered Liberty Cake




4th of July desserts are always in shades of red, white, and blue - and this is no exception. If the cake colors are not enough, you could add strawberries & blueberries on top to accentuate the holiday even more.  The real star of this recipe is the unusual frosting - Marshmallow Buttercream... which stays pretty for as long as you need it to.


Most of the time I use strawberries & blueberries in desserts for the 4th.  They are natural with no additives.  This year though, I wanted to try my hand at an authentic red, white, and blue cake.  (I can now say I’ve done it and have the T-shirt)

I’m not a fan of using a lot of food coloring, but there are times there is no other way.  Red Velvet Cake is beautiful, but I can always taste the food coloring for some reason.  The flavoring in this recipe must mask that artificial food coloring taste - it’s just not noticeable.


This cake recipe uses no butter or whole eggs - which helps the patriotic colors stay true red, white, and blue.  Shortening always yields a finer crumb in baking than butter does, but I miss the flavor of butter.  

The only challenge to this cake was finding blue food coloring in a bottle.  When I couldn’t find it (except at a wholesale restaurant supply store in a QUART size!¿) - I almost reconsidered.  At the grocery store I noticed the boxed food coloring kit that I typically buy at Easter for dying eggs - and realized each bottle held 1-oz.  Perfect for using for this cake - as it takes 1-oz each of red and blue, and no measuring required!  For $1.09 I had my food coloring, and green and yellow left for next spring.  


When I scanned the recipe for the Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting, I did a double take.  Two CUPS of butter (one pound!) and two jars of Marshmallow Creme?  Are you kidding me?  I love a challenge, so I decided to go for it.  This frosting is delicious, easy to spread, and very forgiving for novice decorators like me.  

This Fourth of July - try a new twist on dessert.  (And try not to think about the food coloring, one POUND of butter, and all that sugar)  This year your fireworks just might be from a sugar-rush.

For the recipe, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment