Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Single Size Cheese Souffles



Most people think souffle is a fickle thing to pull off, but this is no more intimidating than your everyday casserole.  I just wish the hot souffle could stand at attention, tall and proud, for more than a few minutes.  Once you’ve tried it, you won’t want to sit there admiring it for very long - just get after it and enjoy.


My sweet mother is undergoing radiation right now - and I take her in five days a week for seven weeks.  She's being such a trooper, staying cheerful and keeping her sense of humor through it all.  Her doctors have stressed to us that she needs a lot of protein (and calories), so I've been trying to come up with some foods that will meet that criteria (and taste good too).  Since she is having a hard time with spicy, dry, or hard-to-chew foods - I remembered this souffle.  

It was a favorite of my kids when they were just beginning solid foods.  It became such a hit, that they would often ask for it on their birthdays.  


This recipe was part of my first Foods lab at Utah State University.  I was so proud of mastering it, that whenever I feel like a complete failure in the kitchen - I make it just to prove myself again.

I’ve made it with vegetables & meats added - and it’s delicious that way.  But most of the time we prefer to not reinvent the wheel - we like it as is.  Since it is a lighter main dish, I always made a big salad with some kind of biscuit, muffin, or bread on the side.

When the family is here in mass - I always double the recipe and put it in a deep 10” x 15” baking dish.  It’s great for breakfast, brunch, or a light dinner.  It can also be refrigerated before baking - great for making early in the day and popping in the oven for dinner.

Leftovers puff right up again in the microwave without drying out.  Just be careful, as the microwave can be unforgiving if reheated too long.

For the recipe, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment