Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cherry Almond Cake



Whenever I see anything with a “cherry on top” - I’m an instant fan.  This cake is just delicious, we loved it.  It’s pound cake-like texture, which is a bit on the dense side - makes it moist and rich.  Next time I’m going to try this in a bundt cake pan - no layers to fuss with.  The almond frosting compliments it well.


I didn’t plan this to coordinate with Presidents’ Day - but it was a nice touch for a holiday weekend.  I often think that Washington is (on this very weekend) rolling his eyes every time the cherry tree story is told.  Washington’s biographer (Mason Weems) wrote a book called “The Life of Washington” shortly after his death where he created the cherry tree myth as a way to show Washington’s honesty.  That seems a little ironic to me to create a MYTH about honesty, doesn’t it?

All myths aside, nothing tastes better than a good cherry CAKE.  Cherry pie always steals the spotlight.  When I ran across this recipe on birdonacake.com - I made a date to try it.  It’s originally a Valentine cake, but any special occasion would be honored to have it on the menu.


I appreciated the trick that keeps the heavy cherries suspended in the batter instead of sinking to the bottom.  It really worked.  Utilizing the cherry juice to add the beautiful pink color was a great idea too.  

Since the cake is so dense, it’s a bit of a challenge to keep the crumbs from adhering to your knife as you frost it.  But that’s where sprinkles can hide a multitude of sins.  I should have taken pictures of the “crumb coat” (it wasn’t a pretty sight!)  Add sprinkles and all is forgiven..

For the recipe, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment