Friday, September 2, 2011

(20-Second) Small Batch Mayonnaise. Really.



One of the biggest challenges of cooking for one is keeping your stock of condiments fresh.  Inevitably, when I reach for commercially prepared mayonnaise and salad dressings - I find they have a thick, transparent film on top or have developed a rancid taste.  I love this mayo recipe that literally takes 20 seconds to make - and the flavor is perfect.  I always have the ingredients on hand, and it’s always fresh. 

When I was studying FACS (Family & Consumer Sciences - formerly “Home Economics”) in college - my very first foods lab tackled the dreaded EMULSIFICATION exercise.  Of course, this involved making mayonnaise.  We all stood there in our white lab aprons dutifully watching as our instructor showed us how to slowly drizzle in the oil at just the right rate.  
I passed that lab, but never had the desire to continue making my own mayonnaise because it was, well... a PAIN.  I joined the ranks of consumers who opted for convenience and purchased Best Foods (or the equivalent).  

Now that I’m cooking (most of the time) for just myself, I hesitate keeping a full bottle of mayonnaise or salad dressing in the refrigerator.  Once I’ve opened it, it’s a slow death sentence for freshness.  If I don’t plan to use most of the bottle within a month - I know I’ll end up throwing it out.


When I found this method of making mayonnaise with a stick (or immersion) blender - it intrigued me.  Could it really be that easy?  What was the trick to get it to work without painstakingly “drizzling” that oil in drop-by-drop?

After trying it, I’ve decided it’s so easy - I’m never buying mayo again.  There are just a few rules/hints/tricks that go along with this method to make it fool-proof.


You'll find the step-by-step directions, photos, and recipe at:


No comments:

Post a Comment