Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Crash Hot Potatoes



Here in this part of the country, we tend to be ‘accepting’ when it comes to potatoes.  Mashed, creamed, zzzz......  That’s why we flock to them when they take on a new flavor or form - (think spicy fries).  When I first noticed these from an Australian food writer - I was mildly interested.  Now I’ve tried them, I’m hooked.

When my kids were small, we used to feed them whatever invoked the least resistance... mac ‘n cheese, tuna casserole, scrambled eggs - anything boring without any lumps, bumps, or bits of green.  After so many years of trying to appease a house full of kids - I’m enjoying the chance to include a little munch, crunch, and texture in what I cook.

Potatoes are first and foremost - comforting.  A meal with potatoes (in almost any form) leaves you feeling satisfied, and frankly - a bit sleepy.  Unlike your standard spuds, these will NOT put you to sleep.  
They couldn’t be simpler to make.  I used Golden Reds - which are creamy and moist.  I would avoid Russets because it would take a lot of olive oil to moisten them sufficiently. 


Potatoes are first parboiled till barely tender, then the fun begins.  This would be a great time to turn it over to your kids.  A standard potato masher - criss-crossed - makes short order of “crashing” your potatoes flat.  

Drizzle with olive oil - no butter needed here.  Any combination of herbs and spices could be used - but I loved it with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and fresh minced parsley.  

Then a short trip to a hot oven yields potatoes that are a combination of soft, moist, and crispy.  These are heavenly.

For the recipe, photos, and instructions - go to:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment