Wednesday, January 19, 2011

3 or 4 Packet Roast



I am fiercely loyal to my favorite roast recipe.  That said, while this is not my all-time favorite way to make a fine roast - it is a close second.  This would be awesome on a hot summer day in the crockpot.  Lots of flavor and plenty of gravy make this a good family stand-by for days when time is short and you can’t be tied to your kitchen to watch the roast beef. 

This ‘recipe’ has been traveling the blog world since 2004, but I recently paid more attention to it when I saw it on sisterscafe.com.  It caught my eye, and I added all those “packets” to my shopping list so I could try it later.

As I’ve mentioned before, I rarely use seasoning packets - with the exception of Taco, Ranch, and Italian dressing mixes, which I like mainly for convenience.  I was a little suspicious of the brown gravy mix, and I’ve stopped using onion soup mix because of the amount of salt.  But - I decided to give this a try.

I decided to make it in my oven - baking it for over 6 hours, although the recipe directs you to use a crockpot.  It makes a delicious roast and a hearty gravy, but I felt it was a little salty for my preference.  The aroma greeting you after coming home from church is certainly inviting.  

My take on this recipe is this:  Use it on a busy, hot summer day (in a crockpot) when you don’t want to take the time to measure out individual spices & ingredients.  If you use it in the middle of winter, it is even better in a heavy ceramic baking dish covered tightly with foil.  The gravy turns out a little thicker and the flavor richer than the crockpot version.

For the adapted recipe, photos, and links to the source(s) - go to:


No comments:

Post a Comment