Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sugar Crusted Mini Red & Blues - last minute 'fireworks'...



If you’re planning a patriotic meal at the last minute, these are fast.  Using raspberry and/or blueberry muffin mix(es), butter, and everyday granulated sugar makes these really convenient. These little bites are a great addition to any menu, but are especially fun for the 4th of July.   

I know.  This doesn’t really qualify as a RECIPE.  But I never would have dreamed this up if my friend Kris hadn’t enlightened me.

Maybe you’re like me when you think everything is coming together just right for a meal, then you find yourself wishing you had made some kind of bread or roll.  By then, it’s usually too late to do anything about it and I give up the idea.

In this part of the state of Utah, Lehi Mill is well known for their convenient mixes.  It used to be that you had to drive to Lehi and go to their outlet store (if you didn’t find their holiday kiosks in the local malls at Christmas time, that is)  Nowdays, several of our grocery stores carry their mixes year round, and often they are on sale.  I always keep a few on hand because my family loves them.

I thought this was a fantastic idea to add a little extra special touch to a meal that is “almost” perfect.  I find myself reaching for these several times during a meal, justifying it because they are so tiny.  

That extra touch of butter and granulated sugar makes such a difference.  I’m sure you could do the same thing with whatever brand of inexpensive muffin mixes are sold in your area.  Remember that if the mix uses REAL fruit, it probably won’t work as well.  Somehow the artificial red and blue flavored “buds” don’t spread and run, making a prettier muffin in this case. 

For directions - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment