Friday, May 28, 2010

Spring Cleaning Cookies - it's that time of year.



I’m convinced the best recipes come from “happy mistakes”.  I’m sure that is how these cookies came to be.  I must include a disclaimer - you will either love these, or you’ll recoil in disbelief.  The only way you’ll really know how you would vote is to give them a try.  


I don’t know if I should share the original name for these little gems at this point - so you’ll just have to read on to find out.  

In your mind’s eye (right now) try to imagine the inside of your pantry.  Neat, organized, and free of clutter?  Good for you.  A hodge podge of boxes and bags that have expired pull dates, or are half full (or empty)?  If this is your scenario, read on.

I was raised by wonderful parents who survived (and thrived) during the Great Depression by being meticulous about not wasting.  This has rubbed off on me (thankfully, most of the time...) and I can’t throw anything out unless it’s not fit for human consumption.  So, most of the time my pantry is bursting at the seams with partially full boxes, bags, containers, etc.  

When I stumbled on this recipe, I was intrigued.  It was featured on Regis & Kelly because it had become so famous they knew it would create a stir.  It has the most unexpected flavors, but this cookie dough pulls it all together to create a great (albeit UNusual) cookie.  


Now... the original name was “Compost Cookies” - but I knew most of you would click away immediately with a title like that.  So, I’m giving it a more suitable name for MY household, since it helped me do some spring cleaning in my overstuffed pantry.

I took this to the Conference Center today (my shift has the most gracious taste-testers... thanks everyone)  The responses ranged from “Hmmmm...what’s IN these, anyway?”    to    “These are the best cookies I’ve ever had!”  If majority rules, these are a winner.  They stay chewy for several days.  My take is - if you like a combination of sweet AND salty - this cookie will speak your language.


For the recipe, a photo tutorial, and a link to the original source - go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment