Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer Squash Souffle' - TAME that plant...





Disguised as a souffle’ - this is a camouflage for one more way to use that plentiful summer squash... Unlike other squash recipes, it has less of a tendency for excess liquid that occurs when squash is heated. It is sauteed in butter just until most of the liquid evaporates, then baked with other interesting ingredients... From the oven to the table in about 30 minutes, this can be easily halved for two people.

A few months ago I happened upon a very interesting little cookbook called “America’s Best Lost Recipes” that I really wanted. I was lucky enough to find a used copy that I have enjoyed mainly for the history of each recipe. When I stumbled on this recipe for an unusual way to use squash - I was IN.

Unlike most souffle recipes - this one does not require you to separate eggs, doesn’t call for cheese or white sauce, and it can be baked in a non-stick skillet. It doesn’t “fall” when taking it from the oven, and it uses saltine crackers (how long has it been since you saw a recipe using this ingredient?!)

I can tell you up front this won’t be a family heirloom recipe, but it is an interesting little side dish. I expected moans/groans/protests from my kids, but they didn’t even bat an eye and told me it was “not bad”... I was tired of meaty main dishes, so we opted to go for this and Summer Salad with Creamy Raspberry Dressing - along with homemade rolls from Sunday. On a hot day when you don’t feel like going all OUT - this is just right!

For the recipe, photos, and detailed instructions - go to:
www.changeabletable.com ("empty nest" tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment