Monday, March 14, 2011

Pi Day... How to Celebrate (without being a math whiz)





Math was never my strong subject, and that's an understatement.  But I do know how to re-size a recipe and divide a PIE into equal size pieces - does that count?  There's a lot of buzz today about Pi Day.  If your world doesn't revolve around numbers - perhaps you are a little foggy about what Pi Day actually IS.  Here it is, short and sweet:


Pi Day and Pi Approximation Day are two holidays held to celebrate the mathematical constant (pi) (in the mm/dd date notation: 3/14); since 3, 1 and 4 are the first three decimal digits of π.  March 14 is also the birthday of Albert Einstein and the two events are sometimes celebrated together.


People like me celebrate by serving the homonym (or homoPHONE?)  What is that anyway, you say?  I'm full of knowledge today, so here's an illustration (I'm a visual learner)




Now back to PIE - that's one topic I feel pretty comfortable talking about.  Nothing speaks the language of comfort and love like homemade pie.  Nothing.  Marie Calendar's pie has it's place - but not in my house.  Here are a few of my favorites from the past few years (links to the recipes are on the captions beneath the photos)  


Enjoy.  (And Happy Birthday Albert)


Cran Apple Pizza Pie


Lazy (Free-Form) Pie


Make-Your-Own Danish Dessert
(for fresh berry pies)


Key Lime Mousse Pie
 (St. Patrick's Day idea... a few days from now?)


Goof-Proof Blueberry Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment